Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Waiting for your roles…

The Psyche Mirror - Morisot (1876)

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

I was teaching a lesson the other day to a student working on “Home” from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. I began to demonstrate something in the song to show a certain phrasing, and she exclaimed:

“Oh my gosh, you would be such a perfect Belle.” 


And I responded…


“Thank you, I’ve auditioned for her countless times, and I think I would be a very good Belle. But, I’m really not a Disney mezzo, I’m pretty tall and what I really am is Mrs. Potts in 20 years.” She frowned and I followed up “No, really just think of me with some wrinkles singing “Tale as old as time”, people will WEEP.” 


*****************************************************************************************************************************************************


And I was surprised by my own response to this. So often, I (and probably the collective WE as actors) tell ourselves that if we keep getting called in for the same role and keep not booking it there’s something WRONG with us or the way we are interpreting the role. And if we could just figure out how to play the role just right, we’d book it. 


But what more likely it means is that, you’re doing good work, the creative team is interested in the work you do, and wants to see you, but right now you’re the age and ‘look’ for Belle. But something about it isn’t quite right. They invite you back because they like you, but you’re not booking the role because it’s not ‘your role’. 


I think about that all the time with the show INTO THE WOODS. I’ve played Rapunzel and Cinderella but really, at my core, I’m the Baker’s Wife. I can’t wait to Maria in the SOUND OF MUSIC, but I will absolutely slay the Mother Abbess one day. Sure, I’d be a cute Clara in LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but my lord I’ll be a great Margaret. 


So, time marches on, your talent doesn’t wain, and perhaps the roles that are awaiting me (and you) are yet to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment